Saturday, November 10, 2012

Redemption Hill All-Church Prayer Gathering


My family wore these matching shirts the day my Papa had his Kidney removed due to Cancer. I will never forget all of us in our matching shirts, all holding hands together around the hospital bed, as we prayed over my Papa, the hospital, the Doctors.  This photo reminds me that special day in Aug 2009, a day we spent in deep prayer as a family. Even though Papa is now on round 4 of cancer at age 80 (still running 60 miles a week!) last year Dec 2011, he became a believer. God is good.  IT IS IN THAT PRAYER GATHERING- THINGS HAPPEN!

Today, the church we have come to call home - Redemption Hill (www.redemptionhilldc.org) - had a All Church Prayer Gathering. 

We met at Lincoln Park in the heart of DC and set aside 2.5 hours to just be in prayer for our church- the pastors and leaders, our Nation's Capital and it's leaders etc.  We started out in group prayer, then Pastor Bill sent us out for a little under 2 hours on our own. We were to walk the streets and pray, find a coffee shop, find a bench, sit under a tree- whatever we needed to just have the extended time completely focused in prayer.

So many times over the years, I have not "committed" to getting involved with the church community/activities. I have always had "triathlon" - races, training volume, travel.  There has always been an excuse. Since moving to DC,  I have felt that my world has been all shaken up. Honestly, I feel the Lord is moving in me and doing it "His" way- not my own. I am finding peace in the unknown-abundant joy and comfort in His word, and together with Zane having absolute Faith in the direction the Lord is leading our family.  In all aspects of my life, I desire that the Lord be glorified, that in boldness I am obedient- though so many times I have had to learn the hard way, many tears...you get the idea.

I first walked to Starbucks, always a "city hub"- and just walked and read verses from Psalms as I passed each colorful row house (being careful not to eat it on the uneven brick sidewalk).  I so badly had the desire to just ask people if they needed prayer and yet my "feeling" of not being confident in the word and "sharing"- I hesitated, got the coffee and headed back to the park, to set up shop under a tree to journal and continue in prayer. 

I curled up on my blue quilt realizing I needed to watch out for crazy squirrels dropping bits of acorns etc! Coffee in hand, I was able to soak up the gentle sun rays through the beautiful fall leaves, as I read the word and prayed aloud. It was a becoming special few hours.  And then I found these verses...

Phillipians 1:12 My circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel
Phillipians 1:14 And that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord, because of my imprisonment, have FAR MORE COURAGE TO SPEAK THE WORD OF GOD WITHOUT FEAR!

I sat there on my blue quilt, realizing how in all that Zane and I have been through, the journey that we are on - our circumstances - we can help share the gospel. We will be able to be a supply for others' needs. I thought of our sport, Zane's coaching and just the ability day to day, to HAVE THE COURAGE TO SPEAK THE WORD WITHOUT FEAR.  I realized it was in the moments at Starbucks as I walked the streets and passed so many people- IT WAS FEAR that was holding me back from engaging others more deeply. I am always willing to touch the "surface" but going deeper...yeah that is the hard part.

We met back up at 3:00 to close for prayer and Pastor Bill reminded us of a verse in Luke that describes how the LORD will give you exactly what you need to say at the exact time. 

Driving away, as I passed all the tourists, the National Monuments, the White House, I couldn't help but be motivated - a bit more courage and a lot less fear. I am excited for the greater things ahead and humbly grateful for the church that is helping us call DC home. This song came to mind:  Chris Tomlin song "God of this City".

You're the God of this City 

You're the King of these people 
You're the Lord of this nation 
You are 



You're the Light in this darkness 
You're the Hope to the hopeless 
You're the Peace to the restless 
You are 


There is no one like our God 

There is no one like our God 


For greater things have yet to come 
And greater things are still to be done in this City 
Greater thing have yet to come 
And greater things are still to be done in this City 



EZEKIEL 34:26-27
I will make them and the places around My hill a blessing. And I will cause showers to come down in their season; they will be showers of blessing. Also the tress of the field will yield its fruit and the earth will yield its increase, and they will be secure on their land.  Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I have broken the bards of their yoke and have delivered them from the hand of those who enslaved them.

(The above verses I found during my morning quiet time- it seemed so fitting since we were on Capital Hill)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terra. once again you've expressed your convictions in a beautiful and sincere way. Proud to have you for a granddaughter.